I don’t know why but somedays all I want is tuna casserole which always strikes me as odd because as a kid I was not a fan (read: hated) fish.
I think it was because whenever we ate fish it was usually the kind with a million little bones that were impossible to pick out before you ate it and I had this unfounded fear that I was going to choke to death from one of them!
It wasn’t until I was in my twenties that I gained an appreciation for tuna casserole. Then in my forties I decided to try on this Paleo way of life which does not include dairy or grain. Buh bye casserole.
I tried to placate my cravings with plain old tuna salad with a little homemade mayo and a squeeze of lemon. It worked during the warmer summer months but come October I want creamy, cozy casseroles.
Enter the secret ingredient that I still can’t believe works: cashew cream. That’s right, soaking cashews in water overnight and then blending them up with more water results in an amazing substitute for the usual milk.
Make sure to add a squeeze of lemon right before serving. It will really bring all the flavours to life.
Serves: 6 servings
Author: Cassie Elliott
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Creamy Tuna Casserole
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup filtered water (for soaking)
- 1/2 cup filtered water for cream
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 cans (170 grams) of flaked light tuna (drained)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 200 grams crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large stalks celery, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cashew cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 a fresh lemon
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Heat avocado oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions, peppers and celery and cook for 3 – 4 minutes or until tender.
- Add mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes or until soft.
- Mix in garlic and stir to incorporate.
- Pour into 2-quart casserole dish.
- Add tuna cashew cream, Italian seasoning, Dijon mustard, chicken broth and salt pepper to vegetables and mix well.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.