I’m a huge advocate of the low carb diet but when summer hits it’s pretty much all bets off because WATERMELON!
I have vivid memories of sitting on the front step of the house with my mom eating big, juicy, drippy wedges of watermelon. We would take big bites and then see who could spit the seeds the farthest and then we would laugh and laugh and laugh. Ah, the good old days.
These days I prefer my watermelon in a bowl with a sprinkling of fresh herbs and a tangy vinaigrette.
This makes a great side with pork, chicken, fish or seafood. Or eaten directly out of the bowl you mixed in by the light of the refrigerator.
Serves: 4 servings
Author: Cassie Elliott
Prep time: 15 minutes
Watermelon Basil and Feta Salad
- 4 cups seedless watermelon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 a small red onion thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper
- feta (goat or cow) cheese to taste
- Add the watermelon, red onion and herbs to bowl.
- In a small jar mix EVOO, balsamic vinegar, lime juice and salt and pepper to a small jar with lid. Shake well to mix.
- Pour over watermelon.
- Add feta cheese and mix gently.
- Serve immediately.