Serves: 4 – 6
Author: Cassie Elliott
Prep time: 10 minutes
Assembly time: 5 minute
- 8 cups spinach and arugula
- 1 clementine or Japanese orange
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 – 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- Quick pickled red onions*
- Spicy maple pecans*
- Rinse spinach and arugula and set on paper towel to dry.
- Remove peel from orange and slice into rounds.
- Cut avocado in half, remove pit and slice. Scoop out of skin with spoon and slice.
- Cut pomegranate in half and remove seeds.
- Place greens and pomegranate seeds in a bowl. Add pomegranate vinaigrette and toss to coat evenly. Add onions, avocado, pecans and pomegranate seeds and serve.
*Quick Pickled Red Onions:
- One large red onion sliced into 1/4″ thick rounds
- 3 -4 cuts of water
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 clove of garlic
- Fill kettle with 3 – 4 cups of water and heat to a boil.
- Place onion in metal sieve over sink and pour boiling water over top.
- Add 5 black peppercorns and 1 clove of garlic, halved to glass jar.
- Add ¾ cup apple cider vinegar to jar.
- Add onion to the glass jar and stir gently to incorporate the flavours.
Your onions will be ready in about 30 minutes but are better the longer they sit. They will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator.
*Spicy Maple Pecans:
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Grade B maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add pecans and cook until fragrant. Stir occasionally to keep from burning.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan heat all other ingredients over medium heat until hot and bubbly.
- Pour over pecans. Stir to coat evenly.
- Spread out on parchment paper lined cookie sheet and allow to cool.
- Break up and eat!
- ¼ cup good quality olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt
Place all ingredients in a jar with a lid. Close lid and shake vigorously to combine.