What do you do when you want a hearty and filling chowder but are trying to eat a low-carb diet too? You spend a rainy Sunday afternoon in the kitchen cooking up a new recipe. I decided I would make it dairy free as well so that I could add it to the 7-day meal plan in my 20-Day Sugar (and more) Detox program too.
This is a really versatile recipe that you can add a lot of different animal protein to like chicken, turkey, ham or even fish which I’ve done and added a dash of dill weed too!
My official taste tester (a.k.a. my gorgeous husband) gave it two thumbs up which means you should probably double the recipe! Bon appetit.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Cauliflower and Bacon Chowder:
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small or 1/2 of a large head of cauliflower cut into bite size pieces
- 3 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add bacon to large pot and turn heat onto to medium.
- Cook 3 – 4 minutes or until well done but not crisp.
- Remove bacon from pot with slotted spoon and place on plate with paper towel to absorb fat.
- Pour off excess bacon fat leaving approximately 1 tablespoon in pot.
- Add the onion, celery and carrots to pot and cook until tender.
- Add cauliflower, chicken broth, fish sauce and coconut milk to pot.
- Stir in herbs, chili powder and salt and pepper.
- Turn heat to medium high. Bring soup to a gentle boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer soup for 10 minutes or until cauliflower is fork tender.
- Add bacon to soup and stir.
- Garnish with parsley or micro greens.