Summertime and the living is…
It’s week something or other of the “stay home” recommendations issued by our provincial health authority. What started out to be a few weeks has turned into a few months. To say that I am “dealing with it” is what you could say. To be honest I can vacillate from “this isn’t so bad” to “I can’t take this another day!” I am grateful that I can still go out and shop for groceries and that I live in a townhouse complex and live near people who I like.
Author: Cassie Elliott
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: n/a
Thousand Island Dressing:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (if using store bought choose one made with 100% avocado oil or olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free ketchup (I use French’s sweetened with stevia)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped dill pickle
- 1 teaspoon finely diced onion (white or yellow)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon monk fruit sweetener or stevia
- pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt
- pinch of ground black pepper
Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well. You can use it right away but it will taste so much better if you let it sit in the fridge for about an hour giving the flavours a chance to really meld together.
Salad (serves 2):
- 5 cups green or red leaf lettuce
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 medium tomato cut into 8 wedges
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped
- red onion, thinly sliced
- 10 large prawns, cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Wash and dry lettuce. Tear into bite size pieces and divide between two bowls.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add prawns and cook until slightly pink.
- Add all remaining ingredients to lettuce.
- Add dressing (above) and toss.
- Plate and serve with prawns on top of salad.
- Garnish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.