As a kid growing up on the Canadian prairies eating porridge which was usually Quaker Oats, was a right of passage and one I was happy to partake. For me there was nothing better than a bowl of steaming porridge with a mound of brown sugar that slowly turned into a syrupy river that slid into the milky moat around the edges of the bowl.
I still miss oatmeal but I sure don’t miss the gut wrenching cramps that I came with every bowl.
Fortunately, after finding the Paleo diet I have a new found penchant for creating dishes that remind me of some of the things I used to eat.
This Grain Free N’oatmeal is one of them and I can honestly say that I was really surprised at how similar it is to oatmeal if not better (I don’t remember ever having pecans and coconut in my porridge).
As someone who cut all refined sugars out of my diet several years ago and who has been living a very low carb life for almost as long I don’t find the need to add any natural sweetener to this because the berries and coconut milk are enough for me. But, feel free to add a little maple syrup or honey if you want.
Author: Cassie Elliott
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Grain Free N’oatmeal:
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans*
- 2 tablespoons coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons golden flax seed meal
- pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 400 ml can coconut milk
- Heat coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add pecans, coconut chips and flax seed to oil. Stir often and toast for approximately 3 – 4 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add coconut milk chia seeds, cinnamon and salt to saucepan.
- Reduce heat to low and stir occasionally until it comes to a slow boil.
- Add coconut flour and whisk to combine.
- Remove from heat and let stand for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with berries or other fruit.