If I knew when my last meal was going to be and I had to choose just one thing to eat it would be this. I don’t know why I love Taco Beef salad so much but every time I eat it every neural pathway in my brain lights up like fireworks on the Fourth of July and I am h-a-p-p-y!
This recipe is really less about the salad and ALL about the taco seasoning for the ground beef. When I decided that the Paleo way was my way I think I may have actually shed a small tear or two when I realized I wasn’t going to be able to use the Old El Paso Spicy Taco seasoning packets.
Fortunately with a little (a LOT) of testing and a lot of tenacity new recipes are born and to be honest I think this is even better than the store bought version. Adding the tomato sauce is just what it needs to hold together.
The other flavour sensation in this bowl of goodness is the avocado which is even easier to make than this ground beef if that’s even possible. Look for that recipe down below too.
Whenever I make a pan of this I like to double the recipe and then freeze half of it to have on hand for the next time (two days later) I want to make my taste buds happy.
Ground Beef Taco Seasoning
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- Place ground beef in a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until browned.
- Drain excess fat and return meat to skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. A
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well to evenly distribute through the ground beef.
- Serve in a bowl on a bed of lettuce with chopped tomatoes, red onion, radishes, salsa, guacamole and a wedge of fresh lime.
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 2 large avocados
- 1 small shallot, finely minced
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt
- Mince shallots and place in small bowl.
- Add juice of one lime to shallots.
- Cut avocados in half, remove pit and scoop flesh into a bowl.
- Add shallots and lime juice to avocado and mash to desired consistency.
- Add salt to taste.