What do you do when you know you are going to be away from home and know that the likelihood of you getting hungry is a high? Make an easy snack that is not only deliciously salty and satisfying but also packed full of magnesium which is one of those essential minerals we don’t typically get enough of on a daily basis because there are so few foods that contain a significant amount of them. Magnesium is important for many reasons:
- creates”energy” in the body
- calms nerves, brain and promotes relaxation
- aids in helping you to fall asleep and get a restful night’s sleep
- helps with digestion by relieving constipation
- relieves muscles and cramps
- regulates calcium and phosphate levels
- important for heart health
- supports proper blood pressure levels
- prevention of migraine headaches
- prevent osteoporosis
As always, I recommend that you get the majority of your vitamins and minerals from the food you eat. It is important to remember that if you do have any of the above symptoms eating more foods high in magnesium or taking a supplement is not going to give you a “magic pill” effect. A balanced and nutrient dense diet will.
These raw pumpkin seeds toasted in avocado oil and seasoned with pink Himalayan sea salt take 5 minutes (literally) to make and are perfect to store in a small jar or container and throw in your bag or purse.
CAUTION: You will want to eat ALL of these at once. Don’t! So make sure to store them in an airtight jar or container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Toasted Raw Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) pink Himalayan salt
- dash of cayenne pepper
- Heat the avocado oil in a medium size skillet over medium heat.
- Add pumpkin seeds.
- Season with salt cayenne pepper.
- Stir often until most of the seeds have turned slightly golden brown.
- Remove from pan and place on paper towel lined plate to cool.
[…] 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds […]